The battle of Lansdown Hill was fought on 5th July 1643 in order to prevent the Royalist (Cavalier) advance out of south west England.
Sir William Waller’s Parliamentary (Roundhead) army, based around Bath, represented the key defence against the advancing Royalist forces under the command of his old friend Sir Ralph Hopton.
Waller positioned his forces on nearby Lansdown Hill and the first skirmishes started early that morning. The two armies engaged in the afternoon and fierce fighting continued throughout the day with neither side having the strength to finish the other off.
As darkness fell the fighting continued, until later that night the Parliamentarians silently slipped away, back to the comfort of Bath.
Although the Royalists were left in control of the hill it had been bought at a high cost; in contrast Waller had lost very few men and reinforced, was then ready to fight another day. Hopton’s troops were left in such a poor state that they were forced to retreat to Devizes.
Date: 5th July, 1643
War: English Civil War
Location: Lansdowne Hill, near Bath, Somerset
Belligerents: Royalists and Parliamentarians
Victors: Royalists (costly victory)
Numbers: Around 9,000 for each side
Casualties: Royalists 800 – 1000, Parliamentarians around 80.
Commanders: Lord Ralph Hopton (Royalists – pictured below), Sir William Waller (Parliamentarians)
More Battles in the English Civil War:
|Battle of Edgehill||23 October, 1642|
|Battle of Braddock Down||19 January, 1643|
|Battle of Hopton Heath||19 March, 1643|
|Battle of Stratton||16 May, 1643|
|Battle of Chalgrove Field||18 June, 1643|
|Battle of Adwalton Moor||30 June, 1643|
|Battle of Lansdowne||5 July, 1643|
|Battle of Roundway Down||13 July, 1643|
|Battle of Winceby||11 October, 1643|
|Battle of Nantwich||25 January, 1644|
|Battle of Cheriton||29 March, 1644|
|Battle of Cropredy Bridge||29 June, 1644|
|Battle of Marston Moor||2 July, 1644|
|Battle of Naseby||14 June, 1645|
|Battle of Langport||10 July 1645|
|Battle of Rowton Heath||24 September, 1645|
|Battle of Stow-on-the-Wold||21 March, 1646|