Ballantrae, Ayrshire, KA26 0NZ (view map)
STB 5 Star Hotel
AA 5 Star 3 Rosettes for food
Luxury Hotel of the Year 2014
‘Romantic Hotel of the Year’ Scottish Hotel Awards 2011
AA Hotel of the Year for Scotland & Northern Ireland 2005/2006
Glenapp Castle was built in 1870 by the celebrated architect David Bryce for James Hunter, the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Ayrshire. Over the years the house fell into a state of disrepair until in April 2000, having restored Glenapp to its former grandeur, the Cowans opened the doors of the castle as an exclusive luxury hotel.
Within the castle, each piece of antique furniture and each original oil painting has been carefully chosen to assume its rightful place amid the grandeur of the fine Austrian Oak panelled hallways and the gracious well proportioned rooms.
There are seventeen luxuriously appointed bedrooms and suites at Glenapp. All are individual, and look out upon the beauty of the gardens or across the Irish Sea to Ailsa Craig, Arran and the Mull of Kintyre. The en-suite bathrooms – traditionally appointed – are equally luxurious. Free Wi-Fi is available in the public rooms and bedrooms.
Please note that only guests with a prior reservation for lunch, afternoon tea, dinner or to stay may be admitted to the castle and its grounds.