Top 5 Windmill Stays
There is something rather wonderful about a windmill. From aloft they gaze down upon us, their circular towers, some with their sails intact, invite us to climb and admire the view. It is no wonder that these elegant towers are so popular for that holiday with a difference!
The team at Historic UK have put together a list of five windmills offering accommodation. You can rent your own windmill or stay in a windmill B&B. The choice is yours!
1. The Windmill, Wendover, near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire – Sleeps 10. Best for a family get-together.
Built around 1800 and used to mill grain until 1900, this wonderful holiday home offers stunning views over the Chiltern hills. Now without its sails, the windmill provides spacious family accommodation.
2. The Old Mill Bed and Breakfast, Yarm, Co Durham TS15 9J. Best for adults.
Built in the mid 18th century and retaining many original features, the Old Mill has been converted to offer luxurious B&B accommodation. Guests can enjoy the outdoor heated spa.
3. Melin Newydd Cottages – The Windmill, Tynlon, near Rhosneigr, Anglesey, Wales – Sleeps 4. Best for island views.
This stunning building has undergone a wonderful restoration and simply oozes charm and character. A wonderfully quirky place to stay, the windmill boasts a 3rd floor living room with balcony to make the most of the outstanding views.
4. The Windmill, Scarborough, North Yorkshire Best for a seaside escape.
This Grade II listed, 18th century windmill is situated in the centre of the seaside resort of Scarborough. Perfect for a holiday with a difference, The Windmill has to be one of the most unique and unusual B&B’s in town!
5. Rye Windmill, off Ferry Road, Rye, East Sussex, TN31 7DW. Best for pets: dogs welcome in some rooms.
This Grade II listed, white smock windmill is one of Rye’s great landmarks. Two of the 10 en-suite rooms are situated in the windmill itself, which enjoys a riverside location just a few minutes’ walk from the town center.