The Langtry Manor Hotel
Derby Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH1 3QB (view map)
AA * * *
Originally called the “Red House”, the hotel was built in 1877 by King Edward VII ( then Prince of Wales) as a home for his favourite mistress, the famous Lillie Langtry, as a permanent rendezvous whenever needed. Many reminders of the ‘Jersey Lily’ remain in the house, including the motto “They-say-What say they-let-them-say” which is inscribed below the Minstrels Gallery next to the hatch through which the Prince could inspect the company before coming down to dine.
What could be more romantic than to spend the night in the love-nest of a King? Furnished as it was when His Royal Highness graced this magnificent spacious room, enjoy a Private Dinner “a deux” by candle and fire light just as the Prince of Wales could have had.
Honeymoon and luxury suites available. Also a selection of double, twin, four poster and jacuzzi rooms, decorated to the same high standards as The Manor, are available at Langtry Lodge, the home of Lord Derby where Lillie and Edward stayed during the building of The Manor, just 50 yards away.