History Magazine - February 2017
Welcome to the Historic UK History Magazine, featuring hundreds of articles, videos and interactive maps to explore. We also add a wealth of new content every month so be sure to bookmark this page!
What's New in Historic UK Magazine?
York's Roman Emperors
The History of England,
February 17th 2017
York and the Roman emperors who died there: Septimius Severus and Constantius Chlorus. Both men, career soldiers, would meet their end at York, Roman Eboracum...
Decimalisation in Britain
The History of Britain,
February 15th 2017
Whilst there are many Britons who would struggle to recall a ten shilling note and its value today (for the record, it is 50p in today’s money!), in comparison to the rest of the world, Britain lagged behind in the decimalisation stakes.
For ease of navigation, we've split the History Magazine into eight sections:
- Kings and Queens of England and Britain - recently updated!
Meet the 66 monarchs that ruled England and Britain over a period of 1500 years. Some died in bed, some in battle, some in most unusual circumstances; some were great warriors, some were great statesmen, some were...not! Browse this section for a brief history of each monarch and their reign - including some of those little extra details often omitted in the history books!
- History of Britain
- Click here for this month's articles on the History of Britain.
- History of England
- Click here for this month's articles on the History of England.
- History of Scotland
- Click here for this month's articles on the History of Scotland.
- History of Wales
- Click here for this month's articles on the History of Wales.
- Living History
- Browse our new Living History section for details of Living History displays and re-enactments taking place in our very popular Living History Events Diary, living history societies, photo albums from past events, and much more!
- Culture UK
- In this section, you will discover what makes the British so...British! From seasonal celebrations such as Bonfire Night and Pancake Day to great poets and authors; from Afternoon Tea and Fish and Chips to witches, fairies and the Loch Ness Monster; from Fashion through the Ages to Rugby and Cricket...
- Destinations UK
- Explore this green and pleasant land from your armchair! Here at Historic UK we have handpicked our favourite destinations to share with you; some are well known whilst some are more off the beaten track, but all have much to offer the visitor...